The Custodial Services Manager will oversee the custodial staff and services for Olympic College's Bremerton, Poulsbo and Shelton Campuses. Responsibilities include hiring, training, supervising and evaluating team members as well as analyzing staffing needs and appropriately assigning duties. This position will also be responsible for compliance of applicable laws, rules, regulations, policies, procedures and collective bargaining agreements as well as the security of campus facilities while custodial services are being performed. This position Reports to the Director of Facility Services.
A successful candidate will be able to
- Hire, train, supervise and evaluate team members and provide/ensure appropriate team training, coaching and assignment of responsibility.
- Analyzes staffing needs using data and engineering methods, develops cleaning schedules for staffs and for each campus building, determines the tasks/frequency/quality standards and prioritization of cleaning needs for each facility in accordance with objectives established by the director;
- Develops, implements, monitors and conducts regular inspection and correction to ensure that cleaning services are being consistently delivered across all campus facilities. Provides reports on Key Performance Indicators (KPI) for levels of clean; proactively takes corrective action to resolve custodial and maintenance problems;
- Develop and implement procedures to ensure that buildings remain locked when accessed for cleaning and maintenance during non-business hours of the college.
- Manage the operations of the custodial department including logistics, emergency calls, work orders and assignments.
- Monitor, project and maintain annual budgets ensuring fiscal accountability.
- Train and advise staff in the safe use of custodial tools, equipment and chemicals including proper cleaning methods and techniques.
- Read and interpret labels on cleaning compounds; advise staff on the proper use and potential hazards.
- Adhere to applicable laws, rules, regulations, policies, procedures and collective bargaining agreements.
- Resolve and follow-up on all complaints/issues.
- Respond to emergency situations in a timely and efficient manner.
- Manage the purchase of supplies and equipment and determine replacement according to usage and budget; maintain detailed inventory of supplies, materials, machinery, and equipment.
- Investigate new and improved cleaning instruments, supplies and methods, develop green cleaning and waste stream recycling process
- In collaboration with college constituents and college strategic initiatives develop service delivery methods that are environmentally sound, functionally and economically sustainable;
- Develop and execute a system of internal controls which provide reasonable assurance that department operations are effective and efficient, supplies and materials are safeguarded, department financial information is accurate and reliable, and the department complies with applicable laws, regulations, policies, procedures and standards.
- Regularly evaluates employee work performance against established standards, prepares employee evaluations, initiates corrective action and progressive discipline in close collaboration with supervisor, and assists in the development of employee performance improvement plans, responsible for continuous documentation of employee performance concerns and to take steps to assist employees in meeting expectations.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Associates degree from an accredited college.
- Three years recent (full-time equivalent) related experience working in facilities, janitorial or custodial.
- Three years of experience supervising in a large scale housekeeping, janitorial, or building maintenance or custodial operations
- Intermediate math skills required to calculate the correct quantity, mixture, handling and the application of cleaning chemicals. Ability to accurately estimate the labor and materials for custodial and related facility maintenance projects.
- Managerial experience in a custodial or maintenance services role having responsibility for planning, organizing, executing, controlling and evaluating activities and functions of an organization, including unit budget, procedures development and staff supervision;
- Experience with building maintenance services contracting methods
- Experience working in a complex and regulated industry such as a college, university or government employment sector;
- Experience managing maintenance services for multiple sites;
Conditions of Employment:
- Successful completion of a criminal history background check
- The employee may be required to lift, carry, move and transport supplies and equipment of up to 50 pounds.
A successful candidate will be able to
- Provide excellent customer service skills; including building and maintaining internal/external customer satisfaction.
- Work in a multicultural environment.
- Exhibit ethics, integrity and sound professional judgment.
- Strong commitment to high level service and quality standards and the ability to develop productive working relationships with college faculty and staff.
- Communicate Effectively (written and verbal).
- Ability to develop, coach, train and lead a team.
- Proficiently use Microsoft office, CMMS and related Facilities Management software/technology.
- Ability to adapt easily to changing business needs, conditions and work responsibilities.
- Ability to comprehend and apply standard solutions and service options.
- Ability to work independently and simultaneously on multiple projects within close, overlapping and/or conflicting deadlines.
- Effectively train and supervise employees assigned to multiple work-shifts.
- Read and interpret instructions on Safety Data Sheets (SDS) and Global Harmonized System (HPS).
- Assess specific cleaning needs on a daily basis and direct staff to accomplish work.
- Fluently speak, write and read the English language.
- Knowledge Of:
- Safe work practices
- Custodial cleaning methods
- Safety Data Sheet;
- Performance Improvement and Disciplinary procedures;
- Green Cleaning;
- State, local regulations and department procedures
- Knowledge of federal laws and regulations related to health and safety.